January 31, 2011

What to do to help stop the itch

Many readers are asking me, fine I got bed bug bites, I know what they look like, but, What do you do to stop the itch?

These instructions are for adults. Parents, use your own discretion when applying salves and balms to your children.

This is the way I have handled it: If there is no mark yet, just a pin-prick like itch, I scratch or rub the whole area until the skin is red. Let's say it is about twenty scratches' worth. The reason for doing this is because it activates the skin's natural repair responses. The tiny pin sized red spots show up within a minute. Now that you know where they are, do the following.

Option One: Rub the strongest rubbing alcohol on the spots. I have a handy spray bottle, one I got empty and clean from the dollar store which I fill with 99% rubbing alcohol. I spray the area with this and then rub it in.

(The reason I have it in a spray bottle is because bed bugs die on contact with it so it makes a good general spray when I see them live. That is another story.)

Option Two: A decent topical Cortizone cream does wonders. I apply it on all the red spots daily until the lesion is gone or stops being itchy. Also anything you would use to reduce the swelling on a pimple that contains a salicate, or salicilic acid is also perfect for bites.

Option Three: Mopiko, a Japanese ointment, if you can get it is great for insect bites. Due to the camphor content do not use on children two or younger. Tiger Balm will also work.

Option Four: Baking Soda wash. If you have scratched till bleeding you would not want to apply a salve or alcohol on the lesion without calming it down with a baking soda wash. 1 tblsp of soda to a cup of warm water. Dissolve and apply with a cotton ball or wash cloth gently.

Leave comments if you have any other tricks.

1 comment:

  1. Noxema is pretty good. Must be the camphor.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment! No need to sign in. Open to all.