January 08, 2011

Bed Bug Experiments Journal, Introduction

During Bed Bug sweeps of the bed area I capture live bugs in all stages with eggs and store them in old plastic pill bottles. This makes a good home because they cannot climb up the sides so I can open the top to make adjustments without fear that they will escape.

I have run a few tests on them to see how resilient they are.

In this journal, I will be reporting my findings and observations.

Let me bring you up to date so far.

Exhibit 1 (March 2009)

My first intension was simply to test the theory about how long an adult bed bug can survive without a feeding. It is purported that they can stay relatively quiet and resting for up to one year between feedings. I am sure this is true, so I wanted just to see it for myself.

I popped one in a bottle and called it Exhibit 1. It died after three months.

Of course, the adult I captured could have been already close to one year old, there is no way for me to tell. It could have also been that by not removing the lid to let in fresh air and moisture it asphyxiated. Further, it could have been that I did not provide anything to shelter under so it died from anxiety.

Exhibit 2 (May 2009)

I caught and stored two bugs and bottled them. There was no shelter again. I observed that they piled up on top of each other providing each other shelter. I lifted the lid weekly to let in fresh air. I threw in a corner of paper towel and they separated and found their own spot to settle in.

Exhibit 3 (June 2009)

I had laid down some sticky traps in the hallway to see what kind of insect traffic there was there. A bed bug got trapped on his back. His legs were not stuck to the glue, only a part of the back. its head was also not stuck. Every now and then I checked the trap and noted to my amazement the trapped bed bug remained alive for more than six months! Finally, it stopped kicking when I blew on it.

Exhibit 4 a&b July 2009

I captured two adult bugs and put them into one bottle each. I soaked a corner of paper towel with the spray liquid post a pest controller visit to the building and added it to one bottle. The other, I sprinkled Boric Acid powder. The adult in the boric acid died within 48 hours. The adult in the chemical soaked paper towel bottle lived for two weeks and finally died. I captured another adult and added it to the boric acid bottle and it too died within two days. Noted this for future treatment options.

Exhibit 5 (October 2010)

I found a nest, not just stray bugs, on the corner of the pillow under the inside flap of the pillow case of all things. I scrapped off the eggs and dropped them into a bottle and caught the little babies and adults tending to them. I added a corner of paper towel and closed it up. Within 14 days some of the eggs hatched but unfortunately the scraping killed most of the eggs.


Exhibit 6 (November 2010)

I found another nest in the pillows, this time on the pillow case. I sacrificed the case by cutting the section where about 20 eggs were laid and where a few babies and adults were hiding and popped it into a bottle. I hardly disturbed them.  I also picked up any strays I found and added them. This starting colony had four adults, several nymphs in various stages, and about 20 eggs. This time, all of the eggs hatched.

Future postings titled "Bed Bug Experiments Journal" will provide updates.

4 comments:

  1. Hi, Are you well?

    How are you, I encountered this website by accident when I was searching on Google then I came onto your web site. I have to tell you that your site is interesting I just love the theme! At this moment I don Bedbug traps are legendary multipliers. Consequently, they can develop to vast quantities throughout your house very easily. One of the most essential factors you can do for bed bug management is to observe the attack to recognize just how big of a issue you really have.


    Thank You Very Much For a Nice & Cool Article.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello sir, Are you ok? You have written a unique content.

    Great information, the links in your post has where very useful. I think people claim for every little thing these days and it is really no need to. There are special products designed for different situations to meet the requirements of customers. A bed bug trap is a very efficient way to prevent them from raiding your bed and other home furnishings. You can get rid of bed bugs under the bed legs of your bed or even under your chairs in the dining room.


    Thanks For Very Interesting Post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Boiling, washable clothes is very effective technique for killing adult bedbugs and destroying eggs. bed bug traps can kill them effectively. This type of product is very effective for killing them and removing completely. Thanks for the article.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you think you release bug i think you can tray steri-fab bed bug spray this its is very useful. thank you effective post.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment! No need to sign in. Open to all.